Friday, July 29, 2011

To Speak to a Representitive, Tweet Now.

I decided to switch from my $49.99/month internet service with Cablevision to an "upgrade" with Verizon - FiOS TV & Internet for $69.99.  Seemed simple enough, no?

That was on May 25th.  When they came to install the service - which they failed to mention would take 8 hours - the guy planned on installing phone service as well, which I didn't want.  But it seemed simple enough to remove that. 

Then I didn't have service - TV or internet for six weeks.  In the eight or so hours I spent on the phone with Verizon's customer service, they sent me a router, told me to jiggle the cable wire (yeah, for real), and dispatched three tech guys to come to my house - not one of which actually showed up.

Then I got the first bill, which was double what was promised.  But a 2 hour long call to customer service and they swore the bill issue had been fixed.  Until I got the next month's bill which was double the price of the first.

And you know who helped me?  Twitter.  Seriously?  The only way to get support was to go stand on my internet soap box and publicly complain via 140 characters.  Even that wasn't 100%, but they eventually got someone out to me, and placed follow-up calls.

Remember the days when we used to yearn to speak to someone in person?  Now we need to pray that the company takes social media seriously.  It's quite obvious that the small pool of people who seek support via social media, at least at Verizon (and Geico), are getting far better customer service than the masses.

Too bad that didn't work for Avis recently...  More on my car-rental from hell later. 

No comments: