Friday, June 24, 2011

By The lbs

I always fancied myself "athletic." But, really, that's a lie. Sure, I played softball as a kid. On the town rec team. In left center field. Until I was 13. I sucked. I played field hockey too. But I was cut from that team before hitting Varsity. I made my basketball debut on the freshman team - when they were actively recruiting enough players to make having a team justifiable. I don't even know the names of the positions. Our uniforms were cute though.

I went to my college's state-of-the-art gym about 10 times in my four years as a co-ed. And I've been a member of various gyms since entering the real world. I'm still paying for a membership to a gym I've seen twice. I don't even know where the locker rooms are.

And needless to say, I've steadily gained weight since the days of field hockey pre-season ended.

I was 121 at my lowest. I was 14 then. And I had just spent the summer between middle school and high school starving myself. My hip bones stuck out, and I loved it. In the morning, I could weigh around 119. Ohhh the teens. How I loved them.

I sucked at sports, but I played. Then I stopped. Then I got fat. Then I stopped eating and got skinny. Then I started drinking. Then I graduated college and sat on my ass for 8-10 hours a day in front of a computer screen. Then I weighed 200 lbs.

No comments: