Thursday, March 19, 2009

Am I Supposed to Feel Grateful?

My company went through layoffs this week. Luckily, out the dozens of people who were let go, I was safe. On the surface, that's friggin awesome. I haven't been with the company too long, so I was kinda shocked to remain. Honestly, I walked in on Monday already having thought through some back-up plans. Like going to school full-time, moving to a new city, living off of the land... But, thankfully, none of that came into play.

Not one day later, I learn that my workload has been tripled. On the one hand, I'm happy just to be getting a paycheck twice a month. On the other, I'm pissed. The work I'm doing has nothing to do with my career path. In fact, it's very similar to the work I was drowning in at my last job.

So now, I ask, "Should I be grateful to have a job even though I'm sure to be taken advantage of in the next few months?" I'm not making more money. I'm not getting a better title. I'm not getting any perks from taking on additional responsibilities. But, I have a job. Is it fair that I - and others in my position - should have to perform at 300% so that the company can save some money in losing other employees?

I don't know the answer to that. But, I fear that stepping up and saying anything will result in bad blood, OR that not saying anything will result in being taken further advantage of...

Maybe it won't be as bad as it seems right now. Maybe it will be worse. All I know is that my team had been pulled in seven different directions since Christmastime. And that work hasn't died down.

bleh..

No comments: